The Sausalito-Marin City Sanitary District (SMCSD) provides wastewater collection, treatment, and disposal services for partner agencies and customers located in Sausalito and the unincorporated area of Marin City, as well as to Fort Baker, Marin Headlands, and the Tamalpais Community Services District. The total number of people served is about 18,000. The District is governed by a five member Board of Directors elected by the community.
The Sausalito-Marin City Sanitary District is looking for a dynamic, results-oriented individual to perform varied, routine administrative support tasks and duties, fiscal processing and report preparation, and related office support work.
Key responsibilities of the position include:
- Preparing, maintaining, and processing accounting records and transactions, including accounts payable and accounts receivable; preparing and reconciling bank accounts.
- Processing payroll including salaries, tax withholding, employer and employee taxes, supplemental wages, court ordered postings, garnishments, vehicle mileage, manual payroll checks, and automatic bank deposit accounts; answering employee questions.
- Assisting with administration of employee insurance and workers’ compensation programs; enrolling and processing new employees, explaining benefits, and following up on enrollment and eligibility issues.
- Assisting the Office Manager with implementation of existing policies, procedures, and regulations concerning administrative matters.
- Reviewing monthly city and county building permit notices and collects appropriate connection fees.
- Composing staff correspondence, memos, and reports; proofreading materials for completeness, accuracy, spelling, and grammar.
- Greeting and assisting visitors to the District office; providing information regarding processes and procedures, which may require the interpretation of rules and regulations; receiving and responding to calls; directing callers to appropriate staff and/or taking messages.
- Maintaining files in accordance with the District’s record retention policy and procedures; acting as the official record-keeper of the District.
- Developing and maintaining computer and hard copy filing systems for such items as bid documents, contracts, agreements, ordinances, resolutions, permits, notices, certificates, policies, and procedures.
- Collecting, sorting, distributing, and posting daily mail; receiving and signing for package deliveries.
- Coordinating the office cleaning schedule.
- Administering and maintaining the District website when requested.
- May assist with and/or administer specials projects, including the preparation and distribution of Board Packet materials to Directors and other interested parties and attending Board meetings to take and transcribe minutes in the absence of the Office Manager.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience: Five years of experience in performing administrative or secretarial work. Experience in a public agency setting is desirable.
Education: An Associate Arts degree is required with major coursework in business management, accounting, bookkeeping or a field related to the job requirements. Additional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year for year basis.
Salary Range: $4,836 – $5,878 per month
SMCSD offers a generous and competitive benefits package including:
- Medical: SMCSD pays up to the Bay Area Kaiser Plan rate for active employees and provides a retiree health care plan.
- Dental and Vision: SMCSD pays the premiums for employee plus family coverage.
- Life and AD&D Insurances: $50,000 term life and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) coverage; SMCSD pays the full premium.
- Disability Insurances: SMCSD pays the full premium for long-term disability insurance and 25% of premium for short-term disability insurance.
- Vacation: 10 – 30 days per year depending on years of service.
- Holidays: 10 holidays plus 3 floating days.
- Salary Adjustments: Board adopts Consumer Price Index adjustment annually.
- Retirement: SMCSD’s pension plan is administered by the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS). The retirement benefit depends upon membership date with CalPERS (2%@62 for new members and 2.7%@55 for classic members).
- Social Security: SMCSD participates in Social Security.
- Deferred Compensation: SMCSD contributes 1.5% of salary towards employee’s deferred compensation plan.
- Incentive Program: SMCSD provides up to 5% salary adjustment for certifications.
Important Application Information
To apply for this outstanding opportunity, please visit the Koff & Associates website at www.koffassociates.com to download an application form. Please mail a cover letter, resume, and completed employment application form by October 22, 2014 to:
Koff & Associates
Attention: Alyssa Thompson
6400 Hollis Street, Suite 5
Emeryville, CA 94608
After the final filing date of October 22, 2014, the applications will be screened in relation to the criteria outlined in this job advertisement. The most qualified candidates will be invited to personal interviews with Koff & Associates. SMCSD will make the final decision regarding a candidate’s eligibility and applicants meeting the minimum requirements are not guaranteed advancement in the process. Travel costs are at the applicant’s expense. Applicants considered for appointment will be required to undergo a post-job offer, pre-employment medical examination including drug test and a thorough background investigation. Candidates will be advised of the status of the recruitment following selection of the Administrative Assistant I.
Sausalito-Marin City Sanitary District is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.