The Oakland Housing Authority
Director of IT
ABOUT THE AUTHORITY
Founded in 1938, the Oakland Housing Authority (OHA) currently provides subsidized housing to nearly 16,500 families. The Authority also partners with local government agencies and non-profits to deliver access to health, education, and social services that benefit its residents and neighborhoods.
As one of only a select few housing authorities in the country participating in the Department of Urban Development’s (HUD) Moving to Work (MTW) Demonstration Program, OHA works with our community partners and stakeholders to develop and implement innovative solutions to the prevalent issues of access to quality affordable housing, lasting poverty, and lack of opportunity in America’s very low-income neighborhoods. Oakland Housing Authority was selected among only 39 (out of 3,400 eligible) agencies nationally, to participate in the MTW program, which acts as one of “America’s Housing Policy Labs,” demonstrating and evaluating new solutions that can be replicated across the entire country.
Under the general direction of the Deputy Executive Director, the Director of IT plans, organizes, directs and oversees the Authority’s core Information Technology (IT) services (including telecommunications). Responsibilities include; selecting, designing and supporting hardware and network infrastructure, external and internally developed software applications, operating systems software, network security policy, the Authority’s web site, and data and telecommunications equipment, including VOIP services.
In addition to technical expertise, the Director of IT must possess excellent and dynamic leadership skills. The Director will serve as a member of the executive team and will be charged with guiding and supporting IT team members through evaluation, coaching, and skill development. OHA recognizes that IT services and structure are the backbone of any successful organization. Accordingly, the Director of IT will be instrumental to that success by ensuring the IT team provides high-quality customer service, both immediate and long term, to all stakeholders throughout the organization.
Leadership and Communication
- As a member of the senior management team, the Director participates in the agency’s strategic planning processes, and supports the application and dissemination of the plan as it evolves;
- Attends a variety of executive, Board, industry, agency, inter-agency and community meetings as required; and
- Leads a team effort in technology planning, procurement, application development, and establishment of standards for hardware, software, networking, data and voice security, and telecommunications equipment and services;
- Develops and maintains computing standards relative to an overall strategy to provide an appropriate degree of standardization throughout the authority;
- Maintains high standards of customer service with all departments and sections within the Authority to ensure that the IT Team is working in support of the greater Authority, its operations; and that standard operating procedures as required are developed and implemented;
- Sets the tone within the Department of prompt, professional, “customer focused” response and resolution to service requests; and
- Works ethically and with integrity to protect Authority’s data and resources.
- Effectively plans and manages the IT Department’s budget to ensure that the Authority’s IT infrastructure; and
- Ensures that all IT procurements and accounts are maintained according to Authority policy and procedures; and
- Oversees contracts and service agreements with information technology and telecommunications vendors with OHA’s financial interests in mind.
- Responsible for the security and integrity of all aspects of the Authority’s data network, servers, and telecommunications systems; and
- Maintains and updates the backup strategy for devices on the Authority’s data and telecommunications networks; and
- Maintains and updates the Authority’s disaster recovery and business continuity planning and management activities for information technology and telecommunications systems.
- Works with the Training Coordinator to provide ongoing training for staff; and
- Meets regularly with IT staff to ensure that technology, infrastructure and long-range planning requirements are developed, met and supported.
Any combination of experience and education that would be likely to provide the required knowledge and abilities could be qualifying, as determined by the Authority. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Bachelor’s degree, with a major in computer science, information systems management, mathematics or a closely related field.
- A minimum of five years of increasingly responsible experience in information technology or a related field, at the upper middle or senior management level; a minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
- Requires a valid California License as a condition on initial and continuous employment in this classification. Additionally, must have and maintain an insurable driving record.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
The base salary for this position is $140,437 – $162,864 annually DOQ. The Authority offers an excellent benefits package, which can be reviewed at www.koffassociates.com/jobs in the job announcement for this position.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
To apply for this outstanding opportunity, please visit https://koffassociates.com/koff2020//jobs. You may also mail your cover letter and resume to Koff & Associates, 2835 Seventh Street, Berkeley, CA 94710.
Deadline to apply is Monday, January 21st, 2019.
The Oakland Housing Authority is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.