EBCE COO Brochure
East Bay Community Energy (EBCE) is the community choice aggregator serving Alameda County and eleven of its cities. Once EBCE reaches full scale, it will serve 600,000 customer accounts and over 1.5 million Alameda County residents. EBCE’s charter is to provide its customers with low carbon, cost effective electricity that integrates innovative energy products and maximizes local benefits through the development of local solutions, ranging from increasing access to rooftop solar to supporting the adoption of electric vehicles.
The Director of Programs/Chief Operating Officer (herein COO) works under direction of the Chief Executive Officer and has responsibility for a wide range of matters to support the internal functions of EBCE, including strategic planning, budget oversight, contract management, information technology security, property and office management, human resources, and Board/Committee support. In addition, the incumbent maintains a high level of responsibility for implementation of innovative customer energy programs and services that are aligned with EBCE’s mission of greenhouse gas reduction, rate stability, and providing value to customers.
The COO coordinates with the CEO on multiple activities and programs involving Authority staff and coordinates and manages relations with the Authority Board, related committees, other local jurisdictions and groups, consultants, and the public. The COO performs professional administrative tasks, manages day-to-day operations of the Authority, provides analysis and prepares reports and recommendations to the CEO and Board, and provides highly responsible and complex professional advice and strategic assistance to the CEO.
Energy Programs: Manages the development and oversees implementation of the Local Development Business Plan. Envisions, proposes, implements and manages customer energy programs, including energy efficiency, net energy metering and other demand-side management programs.
Operations: Manages the day-to-day operations of the Authority, including implementation and on-going oversight of data management, billing and call center operations.
Budgeting and Forecasting: Working with the CEO, develops the administrative and operations portions of the strategic plan. Identifies initiates to support EBCE’s mission and vision. Monitors the EBCE budget.
Contracts: Has overall responsibility for the Request for Proposal (RFP) process as well as vendor selection and contract negotiation and administration.
IT: Creates the Authority’s IT roadmap. Identifies and implements the necessary steps to meet the Authority’s needs.
Public: Attends public meetings and give presentations about EBCE to community and business groups. Creates and maintains productive relationships with the community, business groups, industry participants, and regulatory agencies.
H.R./Talent: Determines appropriate staffing levels for, and hires and manages, the administrative and operations staff.
In the role of Director of Programs and Chief Operating Officer, in the area of Operations, the individual:
- Ensures the effective implementation and evaluation of EBCE’s Strategic Plan.
- Organizes, plans, and prioritizes work, developing specific goals and ensuring implementation of action plans to meet internal organizational needs.
- Implements and monitors operational plans, programs, and projects to meet objectives and established timelines.
- Manages requirements for continual operation of the Authority including facility and capital needs, permits, insurance filings, and other activities. Anticipates Authority needs and plans for the future.
- Collects and manages information related to internal functioning of the organization to guide operational design and management.
- In collaboration with General Counsel, ensures storage and management of EBCE records and information as required by applicable policies and regulations.
- Manages IT services and security for employees and outside consultants.
- Ensures effective internal communications across the organization.
- Assists in the development and administration of fiscally responsible Programs and Operations department budgets.
- Assists with performance auditing and monitoring for existing EBCE contracts.
- Reviews, approves, and/or mitigates problematic invoices with management staff and external vendors.
- Communicates with persons outside the organization (as needed in support of the Chief Executive Officer), representing the organization to customers, the public, government, and other external sources in person, in writing, or by telephone or e-mail.
- Manages, monitors, and evaluates workflow and reporting within the Programs and Operations teams.
- Provides consistent support and feedback to members of the teams and assists with the creation of professional development plans.
- Provides coordinating support for the work and activities related to office administration.
- Provides oversight for Human Resources staff and functions.
- Provides Board and Committee support, working directly with the Board Clerk/Executive Assistant to the CEO and other members of the Programs and Operations teams.
- Coordinates material for EBCE Board and Committees as well as EBCE staff to facilitate operational management discussions.
- Oversees the creation and maintenance of in-house manuals to outline and guide new staff through duties and expectations as needed.
- Supervises office management as needed including supplies, office equipment, maintenance, and conference rooms.
- Manages office workstation and storage configuration.
- Oversees office construction projects and expansion of office space as needed.
- Assists with Board/Committee and Human Resources-related website maintenance.
- Ensures high quality customer service for EBCE visitors.
- Collaborates with other EBCE teams and facilitates the planning and execution of company-wide events.
In the Programs area, the individual:
- Manages and implements energy efficiency or other demand-side management programs.
- Works with the Chief Executive Officer to set appropriate goals and tracks progress towards their achievement.
- Supervises the formulation and implementation of program policies and procedures.
- Maintains an understanding of industry trends and innovations around energy efficiency and demand-side management programs and incorporates new ideas when appropriate.
- Represents the Authority at meetings and hearings of the Board and other groups, agencies, committees, and public meetings; participates in public hearings in order to present the Authority’s position, provide information and clarification, and receive input from interested parties; serves on various committees and groups representing the Authority and makes public presentations on behalf of the Authority as well as presentations to the Board.
- Assists in the dissemination of information to promote general knowledge and services about the Authority to the community.
- Tracks program metrics to understand program performance, including customer satisfaction, and makes recommendations for program improvements.
- Validates program policies, procedures, and technologies with industry stakeholders and communicates necessary changes to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Oversees development of high-quality written material to communicate program objectives and outcomes, and to interface with stakeholders, partners, the media and the public.
- Makes verbal presentations to EBCE’s Board of Directors, Committees, and stakeholders on program elements and outcomes.
- Maintains professional and productive relationships with local industry groups and community organizations.
- Negotiates and drafts contracts for review by the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors.
- Supervises assigned staff.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge and skills required to perform the duties of the position qualify. Typically, this would include education and experience equal to a Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business, communications, accounting, green building, environmental science, planning or a related field supplemented by a minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible management and supervisory experience in a corporate environment, public agency/municipality, or in a closely related field. Management experience in the coordination and implementation of energy efficiency programs, including management of staff, and experience in negotiating contracts is desirable. A master’s degree is desirable.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive compensation package offered, based on candidate experience. The Authority is developing its benefits package. Details will be available at the interview.
The Ideal Candidate
The Authority needs a strong leader who is passionate about community choice and can provide the structure and processes for internal and external engagement. The ideal candidate will have deep technical knowledge, experience with all aspects of sustainable energy, energy efficiency, organizational administration and program management, and the ability to explain relevant concepts in terms appropriate to the audience. The COO will be committed to public service, the Authority and community, and ensure the highest level of service. In addition, the ideal candidate will increase communication with the community, enhance professionalism, evaluate alternatives and create policies as needed, and develop systems and procedures. While acting as partner to the CEO and bridge to members of the Board, the COO will serve to balance the needs to the Authority with the needs of its customers. The COO will be visible and interested, capable of representing the Authority, politically and environmentally savvy, and able to foster a friendly environment for community choice.
Important Application Information
Please visit Koff & Associates at www.koffassociates.com. to apply. This position will be based in EBCE headquarters – initially in Hayward and thereafter in a to-be-determined location in Alameda County. We are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage people of color, women and those who identify as LGBTQ to apply. Start date: ASAP. The deadline to apply is Friday, September 8, 2017.
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.