The City of San José is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial-minded self-starter who can thrive in a collaborative, problem solving environment while working with limited direction and guidance to serve as its Director of Information Technology and Chief Information Officer.
Under administrative direction, the Director of IT directs, plans, designs, implements and utilizes the City’s information infrastructure including computer networks, telecommunication services and radio systems. The Director of IT promotes multi-jurisdictional cooperative efforts, including developing public/private joint ventures to improve City services and public access to those services. Because the IT Department is in the midst of introducing several new systems, the IT Director must be both experienced with functional system implementation and enthusiastic about seeking new technology solutions to help the City reach its goals.
The City of San José plays a vital economic and cultural role as the center of Silicon Valley. An incredibly diverse community of one million people who have family and business ties around the world call San José home. The City also fosters innovation with its tech-friendly policies and public-private partnerships. As a result, over 150 technology companies are located in the downtown area with many more, including major players like Cisco, Adobe and eBay, spread across the City. Located at the southern end of beautiful San Francisco Bay and nestled between the Diablo and Santa Cruz mountain ranges, San José is within easy reach of California’s beaches like Santa Cruz and Carmel and enjoys an abundance of good weather.
The City of San José is a full service Charter City and operates under a Council-Manager form of government. Mayor Sam Liccardo assumed office on January 1, 2015, with a platform of restoring public safety, spending smarter, expanding economic opportunity for all of San José’s residents, and investing in the future. His philosophy is “it’s your city, and it should work for you.” Under his guidance, the City has developed a Smart City Vision with five key areas of focus for bettering the City of San José:
- A Safer City: Leverage technology to make San José the safest big city in America.
- An Inclusive City: Ensure all residents, businesses, and organizations can participate in and benefit from the prosperity and culture of innovation in Silicon Valley.
- A User-Friendly City: Create digital platforms to improve transparency, empower residents to actively engage in the governance of their city, and make City Hall more responsive to the complex and growing demands of our community.
- A Sustainable City: Utilize technology to address energy, water, and climate challenges to enable sustainable growth.
- A Demonstration City: Reimagine the City as a laboratory and platform for the most impactful, transformative technologies that will show how we live and work in the future.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in information management, computer science, business administration, public administration or a related field.
- Ten (10) years of professional experience related to information technology, at least six (6) years of which must have been supervisorial or managerial.
- Desired qualification – Advanced certificates or Master’s degree in information technology related field.
The salary range is $137,880 to $215,508 annually.
- Retirement – Competitive defined benefit retirement system with full reciprocity with CalPERS. Defined contribution option. More information available.
- Health Insurance – The City contributes 85% towards the premium for the lowest cost plan; there are several plan options.
- Dental Insurance – The City contributes 100% of the premium of the lowest-priced plan for dental coverage.
- Personal Time Off – Vacation is accrued initially at the rate of three weeks per year with amounts increasing up to five weeks after 15 years of service. Executive Leave of 40 hours is granted annually. Sick Leave is accrued at the rate of 8 hours per month.
- Holidays – The City observes 14 paid holidays annually.
- Deferred Compensation – The City offers an optional 457 plan.
- Flexible Spending Accounts – The City participates in Dependent Care Assistance and Medical Reimbursement Programs.
- Insurance – The City provides a term life policy equal to two times annual salary; long-term disability and AD&D plans are optional.
- Employee Assistance Program – The City provides a comprehensive range of services through the EAP.
Important Application Information
To apply for this outstanding opportunity, please visit the Koff & Associates website at www.koffassociates.com to download the application. Please email your cover letter, resume and application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to the following address by May 6, 2016:
Koff & Associates
2835 7th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
The City of San José is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.