About the Community
The City of Big Bear Lake is nestled in the stunning San Bernardino Mountains. Big Bear Lake is defined by its rustic traditions, rich history, and pristine views. It is home to two of Southern California’s largest ski resorts, and provides four seasons of abundant recreational opportunities, including fishing, horseback riding, biking, camping, golfing, skiing, snowboarding, boating, and hiking. With its small-town atmosphere, Big Bear Lake offers its residents solitude and serenity with easy access to major metropolitan areas. The unsurpassed quality of life offered has attracted many people to have second homes in the area. The full-time population in Big Bear Valley is approximately 22,000. The City also has a Performing Arts Center with a state-of-the art 398-seat theater. The Center is dedicated to promoting and attracting both big names and local talent. Additionally, the City hosts a variety of special events throughout the year, including Oktoberfest, International Film Festival, mountain bike racing, jazz festivals, car shows, trout classics, rodeos, and ski and snowboard competitions. The City also boasts an exceptional school system, and active service groups and churches.
About the Opportunity
The Senior Accountant reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is responsible for planning, administering, and overseeing complex financial analysis and professional work for the City of Big Bear Lake, Department of Water and Power (DWP).
The Senior Accountant is responsible for activities such as accounting for capital assets, federal single audit reporting, preparation of payroll, project and grant accounting, data compilation and analysis, financial and budgetary analysis and reporting, and other accounting related activates for DWP funds, as well as accounting for activities of the Bear Valley Basin Groundwater Sustainability Agency. This position helps develop and meet Department and DWP objectives and provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Chief Financial Officer. A qualified and selected candidate must be capable to competently handle the full range of professional financial analysis duties as assigned, work independently and as a team member and leader, apply well developed financial knowledge functions of routine, moderate and superior complexity – this is accomplished by exercising critical judgment.
About the Responsibilities
Some of the Senior Accountant’s responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
• Responsible for accounting for project and construction costs, capital assets management, grant account management and required reporting, bank reconciliations, and complex financial analysis in support of Department needs.
• Compiles, analyzes and enters data related to capital assets for operational and infrastructure assets.
• Responsible for federal single audit reporting and analysis.
• Compiles and analyzes complex data; prepares Management Discussion and Analysis reporting as directed by the Chief Financial Officer by compiling data from within multiple accounting applications and other sources to create statistical data for project and financial reporting.
• Reviews payroll timesheets and analyzes, prepares, and transfers payroll data to ensure proper classification, accurate and timely filing, and compliance with State and Federal regulations.
• Responsible for the maintenance and reconciliation of the project management, construction work progress, and capital asset records in accordance with DWP policies and procedures.
• Prepares and assists with monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports, including Management Discussion and Analysis, in accordance with DWP procedures.
• Works with the Chief Financial Officer to ensure an accurate and timely year-end audit. This includes assisting DWP’s independent auditors by collecting and providing client-prepared schedules, answering variance analysis questions, and helping in the preparation and verification of financial statements and information.
• Interfaces with IT consultants for routine information technology tasks.
Education & Experience Requirements
• Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a major in Accounting, Finance, or related field is required.
• Four or more years as an accountant or Senior Accountant for a public sector organization or equivalent experience is required.
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s and a satisfactory driving record is required.
• License as a Certified Public Accountant is desirable.
The Ideal Candidate
• Builds strong working relationships with department staff, supervisors, managers and the Board of Commissioners to assist the Chief Financial Officer in the coordination, development, and implementation of financial processes, procedures, and appropriate internal controls.
• Establishes and maintains cooperative professional relationships with those contacted in the course of work, including outside agencies, federal, state, and other public sector organizations, community leaders, consultants, and citizens.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading professional publications.
The annual salary range is $82,177.13 to $99,886.82 depending on qualifications and experience.
The benefit package includes but is not limited to:
• Retirement with SBCERA (reciprocal with CalPers)
• 100% Employer paid Employee + family medical coverage at the HMO level (HealthNet or Kaiser)
• 100% Employer paid Dental and Vision coverage
• Employer paid life insurance of $50,000
• 14 paid holidays
• 80-120-160 hours of vacation per year (depends on number of years employed)
• 88 hours of sick leave
• 40 hours of administrative leave
• 16 hours of personal leave
• Employer 457 (b) matching contributions of up to 1%
• Computer purchase program
• Employee paid supplemental benefits – life, accident, LTD, STD, cancer, critical illness, flexible spending account
For more information on salary and benefits, please go to: https://www.bbldwp.com
Important Application Information
The deadline to apply for this position is SUNDAY, APRIL 25th.
To apply for this opportunity, please visit Koff & Associates’ website at www.koffassociates.com/jobs and submit a cover letter and resume. As an alternative, you can mail the cover letter and resume to this address:
Koff & Associates
2835 7th Street, Berkeley, CA 94710
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.