Salary: $13,375.65 – $14,746.65 monthly
Vallejo Sanitation & Flood Control District (District) serves the City of Vallejo and unincorporated areas of Vallejo. The City of Vallejo has a population of approximately 118,500 and is situated near major metropolitan cities such as San Francisco and the State capital of Sacramento. The area boasts a diverse community with a wealth of history, culture, attractions, and events. Residents enjoy a multitude of outdoor and recreational activities as well as the historic downtown and waterfront, shopping, and restaurants.
The District’s mission is to provide quality wastewater and flood control services to the Vallejo community in order to protect the public’s health, safety and the environment. The District is governed by an eight-member Board of Trustees and employs approximately 85 full time employees working in Administration, Engineering, Environmental Services, Finance, Field Operations, Human Resources, Plant Operations & Maintenance, and Safety/Risk Management.
The fiscal year 2014-15 operating budget is about $34.3 million and the capital budget is $7.5 million. The District’s fund structure is comprised of three enterprise activities: wastewater, stormwater, and upper lateral program. The primary source of revenues is from service charges. The District continues to be financially stable and has the necessary resources to achieve its goals.
The District encourages a culture of collaborative intra- and interdepartmental partnerships. The development of strong relationships between all levels of staff, as well as with the District’s customers and community, is highly valued. The current management team is a well-established group of professionals eager to enhance each other’s performance to ensure the best possible service to the community. The Finance Department is looking for leadership to strengthen their service to the organization.
The District is looking for an exceptional, team-oriented leader to manage all functions and activities of the Finance Department, including finance, treasury, budget, accounting, purchasing, billing, and customer service. The Finance Director receives direction from the District Manager and employs sound financial principles and utilizes management best practices to develop, implement, and manage District financing plans set forth by policy, ordinance, and Board approval.
The Finance Director:
- Contributes to the overall quality of the Department’s service by developing, reviewing, and implementing financial and administrative policies and procedures to meet District needs and legal requirements.
- Prepares the biannual operating budget and Capital Improvement Program; conducts long-term financial forecasting and planning.
- As Board appointed Treasurer, manages and reports on District cash and investment activities.
- Manages all accounting activities, financial systems, financial reporting, audits, contracts, long-term debt issuance, rate setting, and grants.
- Works collaboratively with the District Manager, management, and staff on financial and budgetary issues related to the Department and District.
- Evaluates accounting procedures and financial controls; ensures compliance with regulatory and governmental accounting and financial reporting standards.
- Directs and evaluates the performance of assigned staff to ensure compliance with performance plans, budgets, and District strategic goals and objectives.
- In addition, the Finance Director will play a critical role in working with operations and maintenance and engineering management on the development of a comprehensive asset management program.
- Graduation from an accredited college with a degree in accounting, finance, or related field. Master’s degree in financial accounting, business, or public administration is highly desirable.
- At least ten (10) years of experience in finance and accounting including five (5) years in public sector accounting and five (5) years of supervisory or management experience.
- Experience in enterprise fund accounting, budgeting, payroll, billing, accounts payable and accounts receivable, and purchasing.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Certification as a Certified Public Accountant in the State of California is highly desirable.
Important Application Information
To apply for this opportunity, please visit the District’s website at www.vsfcd.com or Koff & Associates’ website at www.koffassociates.com to download an application. Please submit a resume and completed application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. As an alternative, you can mail the completed application materials to:
Koff & Associates
2835 7th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
The deadline to apply is 5:00 p.m., February 9, 2015.
The Vallejo Sanitation and Flood Control District is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.