About the City
Fairfield, the heart of Solano County, is a growing community located halfway between San Francisco and Sacramento and close to Napa and Sonoma. It is bordered by farms and vineyards. With 21 parks, numerous bike trails and 2 golf courses, Fairfield is a great family community with about 113,000 residents. It is also home to many businesses including Jelly Belly, Anheuser-Busch, Just Desserts, a 1.0M sq. ft. regional shopping center, and Travis Air Force Base.
About the Division
Guided by the newly-developed vision, guiding principles and values for technology, the Information Technology Division is poised to support the City’s departments and the community we serve. With the CIO as head, the staff of eight supports broad initiatives across the City including redesign of the City’s website, the drive to replace the City’s radio system for Police, Fire and Public Works, and the revision and expansion of the way that the City’s GIS and Laserfiche systems are used. Future projects include moving systems to the cloud, replacing enterprise systems, and using technology to increase citizen engagement.
About the Opportunity
The City of Fairfield is seeking an experienced and innovative leader who can think strategically and thrive in a collaborative, problem-solving environment.
Under administrative direction, the Chief Information Officer plans, organizes, coordinates, directs, designs, supports, and reviews the daily operational activities of information technology staff including, but not limited to: network management and administration; telecommunications and wireless technologies; application management; database and systems management and administration; customer service and user support; project management; technical training coordination; security; GIS strategic planning; and data network infrastructure design, operation and management.
Key responsibilities of the Chief Information Officer include the following:
- Plan and execute the information technology vision, goals, and initiatives in support of the City’s mission and in alignment with the City’s business objectives.
- Plan, organize, direct, and evaluate the activities of the I.T. division, including setting and implementing technology standards, practices and protocols.
- Direct and oversee the development of the I.T. work plan and budget, including the assignment, monitoring and review of activities, projects and programs.
- Identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization.
- Develop and propose budgets for programs and projects, purchases, and equipment upgrades.
- Coordinate with internal customers to identify information systems needs and determine appropriate applications and technology solutions.
- Scout markets for ideas and insights; identify strategic innovative projects.
- Plan, procure resources for, manage and implement the more complex information systems projects, including preparing specifications and requests for proposals, contract negotiations, and software licensing.
- Recommend and implement City I.T. use policies, procedures, and best practices.
- Oversee security of all City networks and applications.
- Troubleshoot and resolve various information technology issues and problems.
- Plan for future technology needs and recommend appropriate modifications and upgrades.
- Supervise and evaluate the performance of I.T. managers and staff, directly or indirectly; develop skills and apply measures to track improvements; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline when necessary.
Education & Experience Requirements
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of eight (8) years’ experience leading and directing an IT organization is required. A minimum of three (3) of those eight years’ experience in strategic planning is desirable.
- A valid California drivers’ license.
The salary range is $10,186-$12,381 monthly.
- Retirement – Competitive defined benefit retirement system with CalPERS. 2.5% @ 55 with a 3-year average for classic members (City pays 2.5%; employee pays 8%) or 2% @ 62 for new members as defined under PEPRA.
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance – Available 1st of the month after hire. The City provides a generous contribution towards the premium with several plan options available. Employees providing proof of other coverage may decline health and/or dental coverage and receive monthly taxable income of up to $518.
- Vacation – Accrued initially at two weeks per year with amounts increasing up to five weeks after 25 years of service.
- Personal Leave – 144.86 hours annually, of which 100% is cashable as it is earned. May be used as accrued, subject to department head discretion.
- Sick Leave – Annual accrual of 12 days.
- Holidays – The City observes 13 paid holidays annually.
- Deferred Savings Accounts. – The City offers optional 457 and 401(a) plans. City contribution of 8.24% of salary toward 401(a) deferred savings plan with employee contribution of 4.10%.
- Flexible Spending Accounts – The City participates in Health/Dental premiums, Medical and Dependent Care Reimbursement Programs.
- Other Insurance Plans – The City provides a term life policy equal to 1.5 times annual salary; short- and long-term disability and AD&D plans are available.
- Employee Assistance Program – The City provides a comprehensive range of services through the EAP.
Important Application Information
To apply for this outstanding opportunity, please visit the Koff & Associates website at www.koffassociates.com to download the application. Please email your cover letter, resume and application to email@example.com or mail it to Koff & Associates, 2835 7th Street, Berkeley, CA 94710 by December 5, 2016.
Successful completion of a thorough background investigation prior to employment is required.
The City of Fairfield is an equal opportunity employer encouraging workforce diversity.
The information contained herein does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract, and these provisions are subject to change.