Central Marin Sanitation Agency (CMSA) is recruiting for an Administrative Services Manager position that is responsible for all aspects of the Agency’s financial, human resources, administrative support, and information systems activities, and reports directly to the General Manager. This position functions as the Agency’s Chief Financial Officer, Human Resources Manager, and Office Manager, and may be appointed as the Agency’s Treasurer by the CMSA Board of Commissioners.
CMSA is located in San Rafael, the commercial and governmental center of Marin County, just north of San Francisco.
Famous for its favorable climate, Marin County showcases many cultural and natural attractions. San Rafael offers a lively urban environment while retaining the ease and comfort of small town life. The city boasts a wide choice of entertainment and cultural activities and is home to several top rated schools. Marin County offers a wealth of recreational opportunities, including road biking in West Marin, hiking on Mt. Tamalpais and China Camp State Park, mountain biking on a variety of beautiful trails, birdwatching at the bird and wildlife sanctuary, enjoying sun and surf at local beaches, or golfing at one of several golf courses with panoramic views of forests, untouched mountains, and cascading creeks. For more reflective outings, one may visit Mission San Rafael and the Falkirk Mansion and Art Gallery.
Marin County is only a twenty-minute drive from San Francisco, with all of its cultural and culinary flair. It’s also the gateway to an immense variety of other world-famous destinations–giant redwoods, California’s famous wine country, national seashores, and all the places in between.
CMSA began operation in 1985 providing services to an area population of 105,000, consisting of residences and businesses, and includes educational, hospital, and correctional facilities. In addition to wastewater and biosolids treatment and disposal, CMSA provides a variety of other environmental services to local agencies, which include the operation and maintenance of wastewater collection system infrastructure, leading an award winning county-wide public education program, and regulating many different types of businesses in central Marin.
CMSA strives to be a high performance utility, with a vision of being an industry leader by providing innovative, efficient, and sustainable wastewater services, capturing and utilizing renewable resources, and delivering renewable power. CMSA believes quality service begins with quality people, and the professional staff focus their energy and expertise on providing excellent environmental services. CMSA is fully committed to the principle of continuous improvement, and in the past several years has completed or initiated a number of exciting, innovative projects to improve its operations. This trend will continue into the future, with a part of CMSA’s annual budget dedicated to its capital improvement and strategic business planning programs.
• Develops and directs the implementation of goals, objectives, and work standards for the Administration Department.
• Manages and implements financial controls and reporting in compliance with legal guidelines and Agency policies.
• Oversees the development and production of the Agency’s annual budget and financial reports.
• Directs the processing of Agency payroll.
• Manages and prepares the Agency’s financial statements and annual financial audit.
• Manages Agency risk management activities, including the procurement of appropriate insurance coverage.
• Plans, develops, implements, and administers the Agency’s cash management and investment program in accordance with applicable state law and the Agency’s investment policy as adopted by the Agency Commissioners.
• Performs, directs, and participates in long-term financial forecasting for the Agency.
• Interprets and applies the Agency’s Personnel Policies and Procedures, Memoranda of Understanding with bargaining units, and state and federal employment laws.
• Advises Agency managers and supervisors on personnel matters.
• Administers the Agency’s comprehensive employee benefits program.
• Oversees the management of the Agency’s information technology systems. Manages budget for acquiring and maintaining system hardware and software.
• Ensures timely and accurate installation and configuration of new and upgraded system hardware and software, test modules, databases, and other system modifications to ensure operational effectiveness.
• Ensures staff training on the use of new and modified hardware and software is provided.
• Manages Agency efforts to maintain secure access to Agency systems.
• Serves as the Recording Secretary for the Board of Commissioners, as requested.
• Oversees the management of files and electronic documents in accordance with Agency policy on records retention.
• Supervises the administrative office in support of the General Manager, management team, and Agency staff.
• Four-year college degree with major course work in accounting, finance, economics, business or public administration, or a related field;
• Seven (7) years of financial, administrative, or management experience in business or public administration, of which at least four years were in a supervisory capacity;
• An advanced degree and/or certification as a CPA and experience in a public agency are highly desirable.
Compensation & Benefits
The monthly salary range is $13,147 – $15,981 (effective September 2016).
The Agency offers a generous and competitive benefits package including:
• Retirement: The Agency contracts with CalPERS for retirement benefits.
Classic Members: 2.7% @ age 55
PEPRA Members: 2% @ age 62
The Agency does not participate in Social Security.
• Health Insurance: CalPERS medical for employee and dependents (based on the Kaiser Bay Area rate).
• Dental & Vision Insurance: Fully paid by the Agency.
• Long Term Disability: The Agency provides a fully paid long term disability program for the employee.
• Life Insurance: The Agency provides fully paid term life insurance in the amount of $100,000.
• Vacation Leave: 0-3 years of employment =
10 days; after 3 years up to 7 years = 15 days; after 7 years = 20 days.
• Sick Leave: Accrued at one day per month
(12 days per year).
• Administrative Leave: Two weeks per year.
• Holidays: 13 holidays per year (includes three floating holidays).
Important Application Information
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a cover letter, resume, and signed application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please visit Koff & Associates’ website at www.koffassociates.com to download an Agency application. As an alternative, you can mail the completed application materials to Koff & Associates, 2835 7th Street, Berkeley, CA 94710.
The deadline to apply is 4:00 p.m., February 6, 2017.